Morphic makes it easy to adjust settings and discover special features in your computer, unlocking its hidden flexibility, power, and simplicity.
Morphic is an extension to the operating system that makes computers easier to use, particularly for those who have trouble using the computer. This includes people who need to adjust the computer (font size, contrast, etc.), those who have trouble finding and using features in the computer, those who find the computer too complex or confusing, and those who need special software of any kind.
Morphic can provide five basic functions to help these users. It can:
- Make it easier to discover and set up a computer to fit the needs and preferences of a user (including changing size of things, contrast, volume, etc.)
- Allow the user to set up a computer once (or have it set up for them) and then have those settings show up on any other computers they use (as long as Morphic is installed on that computer). It also instantly changes the computer back again when they are done.
- Put often used, but harder to get at, features at the user’s fingertips – just a couple clicks or keystrokes away at any time.
- Allow a person to sit down to any computer with Morphic installed at school, at the library, at work, etc. and have the special software they need appear on THAT computer – set up just as they need it. They will no longer have to be restricted to just the one or two computers (in the one room) that has the software they need. NOTE: This requires “Install on Demand” (IoD), which is now in development.
- Allow any user to have the computer change instantly between different setups, making the computer easier to understand and use. It can also allow them to instantly turn many things on or off with a single choice, making it easier for them to focus during some periods and then have full access (and stimulation) another – with a couple clicks or keystrokes – or timer.
To ensure privacy, each Morphic user’s settings are stored in a separate “vault” in the cloud that only they have the key to. The privacy of that information will be overseen by both an internal Data Privacy Officer and an external Data Privacy Council made up of privacy rights and digital human rights experts/advocates.
If Morphic is installed on the computer, simply click on the Morphic icon at the bottom right of the Windows home screen (the system tray). This will activate the Morphic QuickStrip, which you can use to explore some popular settings.
You can save settings for future use with this or any other Morphic-enabled computer.
The buttons on the QuickStrip include some popular settings and controls that help make the computer easier to use. Some are included in Windows and other commonly used programs and browsers, but many people are not familiar with how to use them.
The QuickStrip is programmable so it may look different at different sites. Here is a sample QuickStrip with some of its possible buttons. A full listing of the currently available buttons is shown below. Extended descriptions of them can be obtained by clicking on the title of any of them below.
When you click on the QuickStrip buttons to activate control features or choose settings, the computer will immediately apply your selections to the computer. If you change your mind, click on the button again and try a different choice.
Each of the buttons on the QuickStrip is briefly described below. Click on the button name for more detailed information and instructions for that setting or function.
- Language of Menus. Changes the language used in menus, messages, pop-ups, etc. This setting works for Windows, Edge, Office 365 and Office 2016, and other programs that follow the language setting of Windows. The language for text in documents, web pages, or other content remains in whatever language it was created. An option to translate content may be provided in some programs (such as Word).
- Translate Tools. Provides tools to translate text, documents, web pages or live speech. Most are web pages but two provide apps for your PC or mobile device.
- Screen Zoom. Enlarges or shrinks everything on the screen: text, icons, images, etc. It works for all programs.
- Zoom Top Window. Enlarges or shrinks individual windows or applications. This setting works on the topmost window in Windows, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Word, Excel, One Note, Adobe Reader, and other apps.
- Screen Capture. Takes a picture of all or part of the screen, which can be pasted into a document or email, or saved as a file for future use.
- MS Word Simplify. Creates simpler ribbons for those who find the current 11 ribbons in Word confusing. It allows the user to choose from a very Basic menu or an All-in-one menu with all of the most essential controls from all 11 ribbons - in one “essentials” ribbon.
- High / Low Contrast. Changes the colors of text and background. Eight different options are provided, including both high and low contrast options. Works in Windows, Edge, Chrome, and some other apps that support Windows contrast themes.
- Read Aloud. Turns the "Select to Read Aloud" extension in the Chrome browser on and off. When turned on, you select the text you want to hear and click on the "Play" button that appears next to the text. To stop, click anywhere else on the screen.
- Volume & Mute. Provides an easy to find method for controlling the volume and muting the speaker on your PC.
- DocuMorph. aunches a program that converts documents into more accessible forms for you. This includes converting it into Audio, Braille, ebook, or accessible document formats.
- Open Quick Folder. Provides access to frequently-requested information made available by an organization on its Morphic-enabled computers.
- Open & Eject USB. Opens all of the USB drives that are plugged into the computer, so you can find them and view their contents.
- More... (& Help). In future releases of Morphic, this pop-up menu will provide additional buttons to help you tune the computer to your specific needs and preferences. It will also link to additional help information.
- Save. Your current settings will be saved to the cloud and applied automatically to any Morphic-enabled computer when you sign in.
- My Saved Settings. Allows users to easily apply or reapply their saved settings.
- Undo. Reverses your last QuickStrip selection.
- Reset All to Standard. Returns the computer to all of its standard (default) settings. You will also be signed out of Morphic.
- Close (X). Closes the Morphic QuickStrip. You can re-open the QuickStrip by clicking on the Morphic icon at the bottom right of the Windows screen.